Dowies weir is currently going through the optioneering stage of the process and detailed plans will be announced shortly.
The original Dowies weir was constructed in the 17th Century to divert water into Dowies Mill, a sawmill from mid 17th century until 1872 when it was acquired by the Caddell family and adapted to produce spades and nails as an iron works. Today only the accommodation buildings remain with very little of a busy industrial hub still standing after a flood destroyed most of the site in 1935.
This is an excerpt from the Archaeological notes on Canmore.org.uk; In 1859 Dowie’s Mill consisted of a forge and buildings, with a furnace and chimney, two hearth fires, an anvil, two water wheels, blast fanners, etc, a waterfall of 7ft 10 inches with dam and sluices, an eight-roomed house, four smaller houses of which one was the foreman’s, a turning shop with a warehouse above, the sawmill with a wooden water wheel, shed and saw bench, a shaftbending or boiler house, old nail and chain shops, foreman’s workshop with three hearths and a spade finishing shop, with five fires and a warehouse above. A considerable quantity of spades continued to be made up to 1860.