Kirkton weir – a mapped history

Kirkton weir – a mapped history

Kirkton weir was constructed in the mid-19th century to provide water to Livingston Mill – now Almond Valley Heritage Centre.

1895

The structure diverted some of the water down a lade to the mill ponds. A series of sluices were then used to control the speed of a 4.9 metre high wheel. This wheel powered the mill which processed wheat and corn.  It is, however, a major barrier to fish migration.

1909

1922

The new fish pass will allow migratory fish to travel upstream to spawning grounds. This will not only have a positive effect on native fish species but also on other native species that benefit from their presence – such as kingfishers and otters.